March 26, 2009

Writing Cover letters for Job Interviews

A cover letter is a very essential component when job applicants send in their documents to various companies of their choice for job applications.

This is because the cover letter is usually the first thing employers see and interact with when they receive your application, so every job applicant must have to make a conscious effort to impress these employers.

An effective cover letter should explain the reasons for your interest in the organization and in the job you are applying for in no ambiguous terms and words.

For the same reason, ensure that your cover letter explains how your skills relate to the criteria listed in the job posting and how passionate you are about joining the company.

Note the bold letters above i.e. 'criteria listed'. A cover letter for company A may not be proper company B; and the two letters for companies A and B may be totally inadequate for company C.

The reason for this is simple: different companies look for different criteria in the different job applicants that attend their company job interviews. It follows therefore, that a job applicant MUST make out time to study every company's listed criteria, and adjust their cover letters (and goals/objectives in their CV/resumes) to match what the company is looking for.

That way, possibility of getting positions in companies become higher. See the samples of cover letters (from several educational backgrounds, employment history and with appropriate local content) which we have drawn up for you. Note that the are only samples. You are free to use any of them, build on them, and we hope they will be useful to you.

COVER LETTER SAMPLE 1

24 Adeniyi Jones Ave.
Ikeja, Lagos
Tel: 08030000000


24 May 200_
The Personnel Manager,
Ecobank Nigeria Plc
2 Ajose Adeogun St.,
P.O. Box 72688, Victoria Island,
Lagos - NIGERIA

Dear Sir/Madam


Re: ECO/GRA/2007/06/23 GRADUATE RECRUITMENT APPLICATION 200_

In response to the advertisement on the Guardian Newspaper of 24th May 200_, please find enclosed a copy of my CV for the position of Graduate Recruitment at your bank.
I am young, energetic and resourceful and graduated from Enugu State University with a degree in Geography. I have just completed my National Youth Service, during which I served as a Ticket Officer with Sosoliso Airlines, where I was responsible for the sales of flight tickets for over 3000 passengers per day. This heightened my accountability, dexterity and ability to work under pressure with little or no supervision.
My previous experience also exposed me to a lot of paperwork, records-keeping, cash handling, customer service, decision-making, working as a team; attributes which I hope will be very significant in the kind of person you hope to employ at Ecobank.
I am very confident of maintaining high levels of commitment and consistency with multiple projects and work patterns and I believe I am fully informed on what this role involves, with an earnest passion to fulfill your objectives.
I will be glad if you consider me for this position. I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

________________

Okechukwu Adeniyi


COVER LETTER SAMPLE2

24 Adeniyi Jones Ave.
Ikeja, Lagos
Tel: 08030000000


24 May 200_
The Personnel Manager,
Ecobank Nigeria Plc
2 Ajose Adeogun St.,
P.O. Box 72688, Victoria Island,
Lagos - NIGERIA

Dear Sir/Madam


Re: APPLICATION FOR ENTRY LEVEL GRADUATE RECUITMENT POSITION

I was excited when I saw your advertised position as stated above in the careers website (ngrcareers.blogspot.com) this morning and I am gladly sending you my CV for this role.
Presently, I am working with Excel Engineering Ltd where I am doing my NYSC and responsible for the maintenance of electrical plants and machinery for the company’s diverse clients. This is related to my educational background which happens to be Electrical Engineering from the Ahmadu Bello University.
However, I have always wanted to work with Ecobank – as my personality best suits your overall corporate image. I am very articulate; with a high sense of record keeping, very strong interpersonal skills, effective communications ability and interests in finance. I have also been taking courses at the Nigerian Institute of Management, where I am exposed to the several aspects of patterns in the banking industry and business world.
Right through my studies and current professional engagements, I have proved to be self-motivated, value oriented, resourceful, adaptable, flexible and dependable – qualities that I am sure will successfully drive your bank’s corporate perspectives.
I will be eternally grateful if you consider me for this position.

Yours sincerely,

________________

Okechukwu Adeniyi

Ps: I am interested in this position and will be very happy to be interviewed by you.


COVER LETTER SAMPLE 3

24 Adeniyi Jones Ave.
Ikeja, Lagos
Tel: 08030000000


24 May 200_
Ihe Human Resources Manager,
Ecobank Nigeria Plc
2 Ajose Adeogun St.,
P.O. Box 72688, Victoria Island,
Lagos - NIGERIA

Dear Sir/Madam,


Re: APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF MANAGEMENT TRAINEE

From your company’s web site, I learned about your recruiting graduates for Management Trainee positions. I am very interested in this position and I am confident that my level of education and work experiences will suit the nature of candidates you intend to recruit for these roles.
As you will see from my CV, I have recently graduated from the University of Lagos, with a B.Sc. in Economics, where I demonstrated extraordinary efficiencies in learning, adaptability and accountability. I was involved in several Management events in my Department. Noteworthy was my work for the Nigerian Economic Students Association, where I served as its Vice President from 200_-200_ academic year.
At the moment, I am doing my NYSC with Eagle Insurance Plc, where I am responsible for marketing their Insurance policies to businesses in the Lagos Mainland areas. I am working closely with the Agency Manager and thus have an informed knowledge of the financial industry, while also acquiring Business Development skills.
Prior to this, I worked briefly at an Internet Café as Operations Officer, making sure that all the work stations of the business are running smoothly at all times and also implementing a code of conduct for the employees in the firm in order to improve their effectiveness. I received the Employee of the Month award from the Management for three consecutive months, highlighting my hard work, honesty and high sense of responsibility.
With my proven ability to manage great responsibilities from my experiences, I feel that I will be able to make a significant contribution to your bank’s overall growth.

Yours sincerely,

_________________

Okechukwu Adeniyi

No comments:

Post a Comment